Thursday, September 4, 2014

A&P by John Updike

Notice how artfully Updike arranges details to set the story in a perfectly ordinary supermarket. What details stand out as particularly true to life? What does this close attention to detail contribute to the story?

Updike’s description of the check-out slots, the “special” bins, and the plaid green and cream floor tiles make me think of an older version of my local Key Food supermarket. His description of the “cat-and-dog-food…” aisle  made me laugh out loud. He manages to create a scenario in which many of us find ourselves almost every week. The detail that stood out most to me was the song that Sammy makes up to go along with the rhythm of the cash register. Often I find myself creating my own rhythm to the “beep” of each item. Although there are no more cash register sounds, the “beep” still keeps my mind occupied. Sammy’s song reminded me of one of the few ways to keep yourself sane as a cashier in a store. Updike’s close attention to detail makes this story easy to read. He makes it very easy to create a picture to go with the words on the page. It was easy for me to visualize these three girls, walking through an older supermarket, with older people staring at them. His basic description of the supermarket adds to the humor of these girls shopping barefoot and in bathing suits, as though it were perfectly normal. I imagine the small town in which the A&P is the main grocery, smack in the middle of town. This story was a great read for me due to the imagery that was provided. The fluorescent lighting of the store, the meat counter, and the little bit of everything aisle made the story believable. Updike not only provided great detail for the supermarket, but he very clearly described the girls and their bathing suits. He made it possible for me to imagine myself in Sammy's shoes, watching these young, underdressed girls walk through the supermarket that would usually be dull and boring. He created a scene in which I could feel how Sammy felt as Lengel scolded the girls. Updike's attention to detail was made very apparent throughout this short story, and I enjoyed reading it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment