Friday, September 5, 2014

A&P by John Updike

Question1
Notice how artfully Updike arranges details to set the story in a perfectly ordinary supermarket. What details stands out as particularly true to life?. What does this close attention to detail contribute to the story?.

Answer
            The way how John Updike describes the supermarket is with vivid details like a regular grocery store. It makes me think of my neighborhood supermarket. The details helps me as I read to have clear imagination of what is taking place. He describes it with words that appeals to all my senses, in addition gives me a clear visual concept as I read every details.

Some of the details that John Updike focuses on that stand out to true life are when he was talking about the traffic in the supermarket as the girls were walking along the isles. It is an everyday day suit action with traffic in a supermarket and strangely how costumers tends to keep up with the flow and direction of it. In a ordinary supermarket you will find costumers so busy checking off their list that they have no idea what is going on around them.

Another detail that John Updike focuses on is how curios and mosey the costumers were. They all gather up at the scene of the dispute which reminds me once again about my supermarket. Typically at any regular supermarket even the cashier wants to what's going on not only the costumers. A scene can result in back up in lines at the cash register. I am assuming maybe some costumers are in a hurry, and wondering what's causing the long wait in lines.

John Updike unique attention to the life like detail of the story enable me to have a vivid idea of actually what is taking place in the story.  As I read along I could feel and see every details of the story. It was like I was actually in the supermarket witnessing what was going on. His unique details contribute a lot to my imagination to give me a clear picture of the story. It reminds me of my everyday ordinary supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment