Saturday, September 13, 2014


RR for EN102
Prof Rachel Corona
Rodrigo Colindres


The Tell-Tale Heart” by Edgar Allan Poe

When reading  “The Tell-Tale Heart”  by Edgar Allan Poe. Something that struck me as very interesting was the passage when the narrator slips causing the victim to spring up and cry out “Who’s There!?” The way the narrator described the old man sitting there unable to sleep in the dark fearful yet trying to come up with a logical explanation as to what he had heard. Was it a mouse? The wind? The chimney? Or a cricket? This instantly gave me a sense of deja vu. I remembered being scared as a child laying in the dark failing to ignore the creeks in the floor of my apartment, the wind hitting my window, or anything else my imagination would drum up. The fear wouldn’t leave my chest until I finally found the courage to run up to the light switch in my room, turning on the light relieving myself of any doubt I may have created in my creative mind. It has been a very long time since I could reminisce with this kind of memory. Although the whole memory is quite laughable, the feeling I get when I think of it is that of slight fear; the same fear that I had felt as a child several times before going to bed. The fact that I could read something and get such a clear visual of what is going in the story, so much so that it struck a nerve with me, causing me to remember an actual occasion of my past is thrilling. To be honest I’m not much of a reader, but that was something I thoroughly enjoyed and I felt it would be a good idea to share. Overall what I wanted to focus on in my response was the visual pattern the narrator triumphantly delivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment