Tuesday, October 14, 2014

:)

Marks  
By Linda Pastan 
When I started reading this poem I connected the words Marks and Husband, and for some reason I related them to violence in the family, but soon enough, I realized that it was actually about self-esteem. The voice of the poem relates the story like she owes something to her family and therefore she is need of feedback.   If the writer was trying to gain any sympathy from me as a reader,  it didn’t work out.  As a matter of fact, the poem called my attention because I felt a little upset about her vision.  I unapologetically think that the profile and behavior in the family is set by the mother. In the case of the mother in this poem, she doesn’t have what is needed to achieve it.  I have to say that I perceive her as a weak person.  

I was raised and educated in Colombia. In this country most women are very strong (at least the ones I've been surrounded by).  This is why to read this poem where a woman lets the situation go so far and besides allows herself to be so flimsy inside and unable to face the situation in a smart way,  is a bit depressing. The concern that she shows about the grades that she is obtaining in order to rate the quality of her performance as a wife and mother, is totally out of place. She should be more concerned about her low self-esteem, when she improves the way to look at herself, the people around her will be able to genuinely love her and valuate her instead of rate her.   She also says that she is leaving! Judging by the way that the daughter and son talk, without any fear to hurt her feelings, I would say they still being young children. I think that if she doesn’t feel happy with her husband anymore that’s more than acceptable, and she should by all means to part ways with him...  The children are a whole different story, when growing up, children face all kind of internal conflicts. Any person would be able to understand this and mothers should be prepared to face it in the most intelligent way. Therefore, I’m convinced that is totally irresponsible to conceive children and leave them in the middle of their growing age, just because she may feel unappreciated. She would be  neglecting her children and taking the exit of a coward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment