Friday, October 17, 2014

Elena by Pat Mora

Melicia Bharioo
Professor Corona
EN 102
10/17/2014



How did you respond to this poem emotionally? Which words caused your emotional response and pull to this poem to be so strong. Discuss the general premises of the poem: what is happening? Why did this particular experience speak to you as a reader?



I find this poem to be very emotional in a sense that Elena as the mother is facing difficulties in accomplishing the English language. I felt the struggle she is going through to understand an entirely new language compared to what she knew her whole life. However, with little to no help neither support from her children or her so called "intelligent" husband, who despite the idea of Elena being smarter than him, she still tries her best in learning. I was touched emotionally with her determination. She insisted that she should keep on trying for the sake of her children. Even though she didn't had much of the support neither resource, she used her determination in understanding just from a book.

Elena was embarrassed and laughed upon by others. She then was
able to recognize the importance of learning a second language. Her children forgot about their cultural language which is Spanish, and they adapt to the American way of speaking. The frustration Elena faced was mainly not understanding her children. I find this to be he awfully sad to not understand your children in what they say or want. I have children of my own and placing myself in her shoe, I can relate to the way she feel. Especially, when she can't help them because she doesn't understand what they say.

The main phrase that drew my attention to this poem is Elena saying "My Spanish isn't enough". I interpreted the word "enough" to be the main focal point. This drew me closer to predict that what she is doing isn't enough, she still needs to improve more in her speaking and understanding English. There's no way she can learn English fully with just a book and no support or help from anyone. I believe she will continue to say it's not enough which is very depressing. By reading this I can relate to the people in my community who does not know how to speak English. People of different culture would stop and ask for directions in their own language but I wouldn't understand them in order to help. I am sadden to also see others who know English and are very obnoxious to the ones who doesn't know or understand. They would look at them as dumb and I do see this often happening.
My heart goes out to Elena, a mother who is eager to speak and understand the language of her children just so that she can share the laughter with them and also help them in need. With her determination she will surely get there even though it's a tough road for her.




1 comment:

  1. I found it awful as well, that her own was not supportive. Many migrants can attest to that. Sometime, after just a few weeks of being here your' re so left on your own and you've got to figure it all out by yourself.This can be very challenging.

    ReplyDelete