Friday, October 17, 2014


Marilyn Cruz

Professor: corona

10/17/14

 

                                                     Marks by Linda Pastan.
1)how did you respond to this poem emotionally? Which words caused your emotional response and pull to this poem to be so strong? Discuss the general premise of the poem: what is happening? Why did this particular  experience speak to you as a reader?
When reading this poem I felt kind of bad for the wife. I felt that she felt really disappointed and pressure by her family. The way they used the grading policy to let her know how she’ doing at home makes me feel like she’s being judge for everything she does and that she’s is always trying to please other not herself. The word that caused emotional response in me was when she said that her husband give her a “b” plus in bed. Which for me it’s choking because that’s something personal and I think that if he give her a B is because she’s not good enough to him in bed. Which makes me feel upset because if my boyfriend would do that I will leave him right away. It’s upsetting that the entire family is being judgmental. For me it seem that everything she does it incomplete, for them. In the poem what is happening is that a mom is being grade according to how good she perform her duties at her house. She’s being grade with three different system of grading. This poem speak to me as a reader because the pressure put into this women at the house make me feel the same way I feel at school with the grading thing, because at school with know that in order to get a good grade or to pass the class we have to do homework and so many things. In this case she also have to do a lot of thing and order to satisfy her family, but the only different between school and her experience is that she’s  not getting anything good out it and that it feel that she’s getting the grade from the student( daughter and son ) instead of the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment