Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Recitatif by Jamie (sorry for the real life thoughts haha)


I can not keep a story about race under 300 words, I could write a book...Makes me angry to hear about racism.
 
I don’t believe one can determine who is who in this story. So many parts of this story have you wondering who all the characters really are. From the beginning of the story seeing the time period the story was written in I can tell you that I thought Twyla was white and Roberta was black. White people no matter the time of year always seemed to be considered the “upperclass” and the blacks not. They were never put on the same level (which aggravates me to no end). Twyla said Roberta never washed her hair and she sure smelled funny. Then she turns around and says “My mother sure would not like you putting me in here”. Back then whites and blacks did not mix. Surprisingly enough in the story both girls were failing school and it was Roberta that could not read or write. This makes you believe that they have now switched roles again. The “white” children, and I hate writing stories about race because it makes me angry, it’s ridiculous that anyone can be singled out because of the color of their skin. Same blood, same bones, same Shi*t. Anyway “white” children back then were able to have the proper schooling that they needed. Moving on to where the parents meet. They describe Twyla’s mother as having torn ripped up cloths while Roberta’s mother wore “slacks”. Roberta’s mom too good to talk to a black women grabbed Roberta and moved to the back of the line not saying hello or anything. Twyla’s mom did not bring food while Roberta’s mom brought a lavish smorgasbord of food. Now you have Twyla who is grown up working a minimum wage job with weird hours working at a thruway stop. Here comes Roberta a 1960’ maybe hippie with large hoop earrings with big hair. Something that was all too popular in the “Jimmy Hendrix” days. Twyla lives in a small town, population not a lot in upstate NY. Her husband a hard worker makes just enough money to pay the bills. Happy that she can shop around in a new “luxury” market for groceries, while Roberta rolls up with a chauffer to help her carry her bag. The story continues and I could probably write a novel on this, however I feel that race cant be determined by this authors story although if I want to be a person who assumes things I would have to say that Roberta is the white girl and Twyla is the black girl. Two very different girls grew up in different lifestyles I don’t think you can classify their race by what you read in the story.

1 comment:

  1. Really the diversity of opinion on this piece applaud me. It goes without saying theirs no need for racial barrier. We were all uniquely created and wonderfully made by the almighty in diversity of colors to decorate his beautiful garden "earth'. Variety is the spice of life. An appreciate for the fact is what i'm anticipating we'll learn to do.

    ReplyDelete